Tooltips appear too fast and too often in grids
|Category:||GUI||Estimated time:||6.00 hours|
|Target version:||010 - Next Major Public Release 1.xxx|
In a grid, if the tooltip would just repeat the text written in the grid cell, then the tooltip should not be shown. This is the tradition, because tooltips hide parts people want to see.
There should be a delay between the mouse entering a grid cell and displaying a tooltip. This should be a setting in GUI.Advanced (ms). Likewise, the tooltip lifetime should be a setting in GUI.Advanced (ms). By default, tooltips usually appear after about 1000 ms and are hidden after about 5000 ms.
If a grid cell contains only icons, then the icons should be translated into words in the tooltips (currently done).
If the grid cell contains abbreviations, then the full version should be shown in the tooltip (such as converting MB into bytes - size, filesize, loaded, remaining). This was implemented and removed.
If the grid cell is not large enough to hold all of the text, then the tooltip should show the full text.However, if text and icons are mixed, there is no clean general solution.
- If the text all fits, then only the icons should be represented in the tooltip.
- Icons that are just abbreviations of the text should not be represented (for example, host icons).
- In the Hosts column of a Link, only the text for the status icons should show in the tooltip. The host icon should not be translated, unless the hostname is not displayed at all. If the hostname is not shown in full, it should appear in the tooltip.
- In the Hosts column of a Package, tooltips are necessary when the text will not fit into the grid. This also applies to the filename column for Links and the Packagename column for packages.
- The tooltip for the Progress column should just be the percentage completed (for example 43%).