GUI issues to fix before release
|Target version:||010 - Next Major Public Release 1.xxx|
1) When the Downloads grid or LinkGrabber grid is open and a vertical thumb (the slider) is in the scrollbar, clicking on the blank part of the scrollbar is supposed to move the thumb and document by one page in that direction. Currently, it moves the thumb and document enough to move the thumb under the cursor, one page at a time. That is supposed to happen only if the mouse is held down longer than the time to display the page. (7/10 importance) SHOW STOPPER
2) The grids need at least one px of space between the cell borders and the text or icons. (3/10 importance)
3) Dialog boxes must be large enough to hold the initial text + the extra text added later (file names, "Do not show this again, usw). (5/10 importance)
4) Settings are lost if they are entered and then the user immediately changes to the Downloads or Linkgrabber tab. Changing tabs is supposed to save settings. (6/10 importance)
5) Balloons should pop (close) whenever the user clicks on them. The x in the corner is not effective. The "Splash screen" should also close within 3 seconds of the user clicking on it. (4/10 importance)
6) The context menu should
a) only contain actions that are specific to selected items
b) Not put similar looking items right next to each other
c) Not put dangerous (for example, delete, reset) actions at the top or bottom of the Context menu.
d) Unless the purpose is very clear (such as "Post Processing") secondary menus (pop-outs) should be avoided. The current menu has three secondary menus with names that do not describe what the menu is for. There can be an Advanced menu that pops out, and should be placed as the last action before the Properties.
e) The "Add stop mark" is actually "Disable starting new downloads" (the third icon with a check box that is a circle with a bar-sinister through it). Although this sets a mark on a specific link, which link it is on (or even if the link is deleted) does not matter. Therefore, this is a global action and should be removed from the context menu. The Stop Link action (not yet implemented) should use the red octagon icon.
7) I have been living with the hidden settings tab for a while and come to the conclusion that my first reaction was right. Hiding the normal settings is a big mistake. The settings tab should be one page of ordinary settings and an Advanced button that opens the advanced settings.
8) It should be made clear that reconnection is not a normal part of operation, but an advanced feature available in some hardware configurations.